Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:53:09 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        "Adam Ryan" <adam@powersurge.net>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell laptop, external CRT

On Sunday 28 July 2002 09:06 pm, Adam Ryan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running the latest FreeBSD 4.6 stable.  It seems that when I have
> my laptop hooked up to an external monitor, it only will run in console
> mode.  When I try to start X, there is just solid blur on the screen.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get X to run externally ( to a CRT ) from my
> laptop?

Which Dell Laptop? They have vastly different video hardware depending on the
model. Also, did X run on an earlier FreeBSD version and this happened only
after you upgraded the OS, or is this the first time you've run X at all on
the laptop?

I'm running 4.5-RELEASE with XFree86 4.03 on a Inspiron 4000. This is the rage
Mobility 3 and I use the r128 driver. It works fine on both the internal and
external screens. The only problem I have is that I haven't yet figured out
how to make it auto-detect the correct resolution. I have to manually change
from the 1024x768 internal res to the 1280x1028 external monitor's
resolution. There are various options for configging the r128 driver to
handle external monitors in the XF86Config-4 file. They are outlined in the
man page.

-Jim