Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:35:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Very slow SSh since upgrading machines to RELENG_4_8

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Pete French wrote:
> > This sounds suspiciously like DNS timing out. I seem to remember this is
> > due to the fact the default config of sshd now enables privilege
> > seperation. sshd chroots into /var/empty and therefore can't access
> > /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.
>
> O.K., that sounds like its the problems - though doesnt explain why the
> timeout only occurrs between machines on the same subnet, rather than
> those on differing subnets. I'll give it a go. Possibly the split
> horizon DNS should be my best option, though its not something I;ve
> ever done before and am thus slightly reticent...

Before going down this route, it may be worth testing to make sure this is
the cause by setting "UsePrivilegeSeparation No" in sshd_config. This
configuration is less secure however, so while you can test it it's
probably not a good idea to use it in production.

As to why it only affects machines on the same subnet, without knowing
more about the network it's hard to say. Are the two subnets within the
same domain and served by the same DNS servers, or are all hosts in each
other's host files? Does each machine have an entry in it's own host file?
Try running tcpdump to see what DNS requests (if any) are actually going
out on the wire, and which server they are aimed at, though I have a
suspision you won't see any DNS requests.

Gavin