Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:24:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@nev.ml.org>
To:        "marino.ladavac@siemens.at" <lada@ws6303.gud.siemens.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, marino.ladavac@siemens.at wrote:

>> Does it matter how big your swapdrive is? I have currently a swapdisk of
>> 50MB, that's enough I think, but does it make the system slower the bigger
>> the swapslice is?
>
>How much swap do you need depends on the disparity of your RAM and total
>intended working set size--in other words if your apps require 100 Megs of
>memory, and you have only 20 Megs of RAM, you'd better have at least 80 Megs
>of swap.  You might need even full 100 Megs of swap if the particular VM
>implementation reserves swap space for all potentially written RAM pages.

well, there are just 8 mb's of ram in that box, not that many, so I need a
little swap I think :-) (asked for more memory already)

>The size of the swap area does imply an overhead consisting mainly of the
>free swap page list which is usually implemented as a bitmap.  At 1 Byte per
>32 KBype of swap (4 KByte page size is assumed), this overhead is rather
>negligible.

Hmm... I can't change the number of megs isn't it... I have to reinstall
my whole system I think, so I leave it there, it are 50 meg's now, I'm
happy with it, and otherwise I place a small harddisk next to this one...
should work ;-) (and when putting it into the fstab before the current
entry it even gets priority, maybe not a bad idea instead of the current
heavily used disk ;-))
can I use a normal file as swap too btw? (make a temporary swap file on
another disk if needed is not that bad I think)

--
Paul Dekkers (psd@nev.ml.org or psd@dds.nl)
N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo