Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:43:40 -0400
From:      "G.R. Gaudreau" <grgaud@sprint.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports (was: FreeBSD main platform & Linux)

At 02:27 PM 8/22/98 -0600, Allen Campbell wrote:
>This is the classic case of a much too overloaded term.  I'll share
what
>I know.
>
>I'll start with the FreeBSD ports collection.  To 'port' software is
>make it compatible with another platform.  A person doing this is
may be
>called a porter, who is porting software.  The result is sometimes
>called a port.  FreeBSD maintains a large and growing collection of
>these ports.  Using these ports, you may obtain the standard
>distribution of some piece of software and allow the ports system to
>automatically 'patch' and install the distribution.  The handbook
and
>the ports man page have more information on the FreeBSD ports
>collection.
<snipped for brevity>
>The 'soft' ports you mentioned I don't recognize.

Thanks a bunch Allen, I wasn't sure what those were. I knew about the
software ports, and had heard about the IP ports, but didn't know how
and why they were used. The term "soft ports" was my way of
distiguinshing between hardware ports (Com 1 & 2, printer ports on
computers) and IP ports which seem te me to be of the "software"
type. Perhaps that's a mistaken understanding I have of the
difference between what is hardware and software. I assumed that
because IP ports are part of a software program, that I could
legitimately call them soft ports, as opposed to physical ports on a
computer's motherboard, though I realize that the term may not be
commonly used.

Regards,

G.R. GAUDREAU <grgaud@sprint.ca>
<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5783/>;
SBG-KEY: 4002-7dc5-50c9-eb0d-b07b-7442

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarely reflect my own.