Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:18:18 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        David Petrou <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading kernel from 4.2r to 4.3s

On Thursday 14 June 2001 22:04, David Petrou wrote:
> hi.  i checked the handbook and faq for "upgrade" but didn't find
> anything.
>
> i'm running a 4.2s kernel that apparently is broken w.r.t. recording
> sound at hi-fidelity on some hardware (see mailing list archives).
> i'm hoping that this problem has been fixed in a recent kernel.
>
> i'd like to try the latest 4.3s kernel.  what's the easiest way for me
> to download it and give it a try?  i'd like to not go through the
> trouble of setting up cvsup.  but i can't find a simple .tar.gz
> archive of the kernel like i can with linux.
>
> also, should i expect a lot of pain using my kernel config file from
> 4.2r with a 4.3s kernel?
>
> thanks,
> david

Unlike linux, FreeBSD is an integrated OS. You can't upgrade the kernel
without also upgrading the userland. As for setting up cvsup, there's really
nothing to setup, you should already have the src directory, and the cvsup
port is really easy to install. There are complete docs available at
www.freebsd.org. Do yourself a big favor and save yourself a lot of grief, if
you need to upgrade do it properly.

Beech

     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510