Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:20:51 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Subject:   it.iso.kbd keymap file

   Hi all,
I have a problem with the keymap file it.iso.kbd (for Italian language
support). In login.conf I have created the following login class:

 italian:Italian Users Accounts:\
 :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
 :lang=it_IT.ISO_8859-1:\
 :tc=default:

In /etc/rc.conf I have:

 keyrate="fast"
 keymap="it.iso"
 font8x16="iso-8x16"
 font8x14="iso-8x14"
 font8x8="iso-8x8"

In /etc/profile I have:

 TERM=cons25l1;           export TERM
 LANG=it_IT.ISO_8859-1;   export LANG
 MM_CHARSET=ISO-8859-1;   export MM_CHARSET
 LC_ALL=it_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LC_ALL

   In Mutt, messages containing accent letters are correctly
displayed, but pressing a key labeled with an accent letter results
in a wrong character printed on screen (e.g. if I press 'a' with
the grave accent I get the character representing carriage return:
a 'c' over an 'r' in one character).

   To have the correct key printed, I've modified the keymap file
with the proper characters (e.g. 'a' with the grave accent is
ALT+224). Now everything seems to work.

   If I type an accent letter in a message then Mutt correctly add
these fields to the header:

   I can use ISO-8859-1 characters everywhere in the system. Now the
question is:  is the keymap file it.iso.kbd wrong? Can I use the file
I've modified without problems or there's a reason why I should use
the file distributed with FreeBSD?

   Thanks in advance for your help.

		Francesco Casadei