Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:49:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer), jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing (no longer Re: Shells)

> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Wes Peters wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been a bash user for many years, but would not want to put bash
> > > in an embedded system for fear of contaminating the code base; Julian's
> > > point is well founded.
> >
> > consider a 'crunched' binary including bash and a proprietary
> > program. Instant GPL pollution of proprietary program.
>
> Depending on the court's interpretation of "derived work" you might not
> even have to do that.  I have been given an opinion by members of the
> legal staff of a large US-based semiconductor manufacturer that making
> any single-purpose box that requires GPL code to function means the
> entire product is a work derived from the GPL code.  Instant pollution
> of everything in the box.  This is what Terry Lambert refers to as the
> viral nature of the GPL.

Brett Glass calls it viral; I just call it a poor instrumentality
of the GNU Manifesto, and leave it at that.

As far as embedded systems, the GPL is death.

If you want to say "being bought" as one of your protential exit
strategies in your new startup, so that "IPO" is not your only
option, to better convince the V.C.'s that they should invest in
it, the GPL is death.  You can still convince some V.C.'s, of
course, but you've artificially limited your options considerably.

I _do_ worry about things like the Kaffe class (Klass?) libraries
being under GPL, since I don't know what an agregation means in
the context of a bytecode interpreter; I'm sure the problem becomes
much worse if you enable the JIT when running.  The LGPL would have
been a much better choice for these people getting their product
used everywhere, but that might not have been one of their goals.

Not that this has piss-all to do with -arch, so follows are
directed to -chat.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---