Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:35:05 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lme@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: boot menu option to disable graphics mode

--qCPPoBTQI/bIC4sS

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:45:26AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>=20
> It's long been a wish of mine to have an ability to decide at boot time t=
hat a
> system should boot in "console-only" mode.  That is, that no graphics/X
> applications like e.g. xdm/kdm/gdm are automatically started even when th=
ey are
> configured to do so.
>=20
> Here is my attempt at implementing that:
> https://gitorious.org/~avg/freebsd/avgbsd/commit/96f7051d63d4286ef6f0196d=
241e7855338a6ed7?format=3Dpatch
>=20
> All the option does at boot time is setting of 'inhibit_gui' variable for=
 kernel
> environment.=20

I like this idea.

rc(8) sets rc_fast=3Dyes when the system boots, so it would be possible
to extend the scripts that start a desktop manager can use a code like
this:

if [ -n "$rc_fast" -a "`kenv inhibit_gui 2> /dev/null`" =3D "1" ]; then
    echo "Console only mode, $name not started"
    exit 0
fi

Then the user can still start the DM manually by issuing
"service $name start".

--qCPPoBTQI/bIC4sS

--qCPPoBTQI/bIC4sS--