Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:56:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Rik van Mierlo <rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl>
To:        Edirol <edirol@anime.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA / 3.3-Stable / transfer delay

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Edirol wrote:

> I'm using 3.3-RELEASE with Samba 2.05 (installed from ports) and I notice
> that there's a ~5sec delay in opening a file on the FBSD server from a
> Win98SE machine sometimes.  My transfer speeds aren't affected however.
>
> I haven't tried Samba 2.06 yet though.
>
> - Will

The "one-way delay" turns out to be a two-way-delay. I experienced the same
problems, but when I used smbclient to connect to a Windows NT4 box instead
of the other way around, the put command was about 4 times slower than the
get command. So it seems to me that putting a file is slower than getting a
file. I don't know whether this is possible (isn't get the same as put?) but
I hope this gives you another idea as to where to look for the problem.

-Rik van Mierlo
-rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl