Date:      2 Jun 2003 03:32:13 -0000
From:      "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my thinkpad t40 experiences

A couple of weeks ago I tried using the latest stable kernel with
radeondrm, and enabling AGP. Two problems:

   * Minor (compared to how bad it was without AGP): Suspend instantly
     freezes the machine. (As noted on the web page, Linux has the same
     problem with its AGP driver.)

   * Major: XFree86.0.log shows

       (II) RADEON(0): Panel ID string: [byte 255 repeated many times]
       (II) RADEON(0): Panel Size from BIOS: 65535x65535

     and X dumps core. (Linux doesn't have this problem.)

As for the wireless-resume incompatibility: I haven't bothered trying to
fix this. Resume doesn't work with X (even if I kill X before suspend);
rewriting X is increasingly tempting but not an overnight job. Resume
also hangs the APM driver; without the APM driver, I don't know the
battery status, so I'm unlikely to risk having the battery run down.
Wireless is the least of these problems.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago