Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:20:43 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV on ro wd

Hi,

Sascha Schumann wrote:[snip]

> o  I forgot to change /etc/fstab (still pointing to wd2*)
> o  /dev/wd1s1[a-f] does not exists (and I cannot get rw access to the
>    system to use MAKEDEV)
>
> So, when booting in FreeBSD, I get this kind of rescue shell where the
> root fs /dev/wd1s1 is mounted read only. How do I get around this? mount
> doesn't know a "-o remount" option and a "mount root_device /" bumps on me
> with a "cannot remount read-writable...run fsck manually".
>
> Is there any way I can avoid playing with the hds again?

I ran into a similar problem last week. It was, in effect, that I had updated
my kernel sauce to 2.2.6 and there was a difference in the format of
/etc/fstab between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 that caused me to get a recue shell as
well. Where my root partition was

/dev/wd0sa    /    ufs    rw    #2.2.5 /etc/fstab entry

I had to change it to

/dev/wd0s1a    /    ufs    rw    #2.2.6 version

To check the partition is OK, try this

mkdir /mnt/bootdisk
mount /mnt/bootdisk /dev/wd01s1a

(you might have to fsck it first!). If it mounts, you know the disk is fine
(Phew!), and it could be your /etc/fstab.