Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 16:12:00 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Dag-Erling =?utf-8?b?U23Dg8K4cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Mike, Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

Quoting Dag-Erling Sm=C3=83=C2=B8rgrav <des@des.no> (from Fri, 11 May 2007 =
=20
10:33:29 +0200):

> The existence of .la files is a bug.

I fully agree.

> We already have a mechanism for recording dependencies between
> libraries; it's built into the ELF format, and does not require
> hardcoding any directories.  Introducing .la files which override the
> existing mechanism and *do* hardcode directories is a regression.
>
> I don't buy the argument that "KDE won't build without them", or
> whatever it was you used to justify this.  There is nothing an .la file
> does which can't be done more properly by adding the correct directory
> to your ldconfig path.

Unfortunately you are addressing this to the wrong people. You need to =20
talk with the libtool people. Trying to use a libtool version which is =20
as closest as possible to the version distributed by the authors is a =20
very sane requirement for our ports collection and the users which =20
expect a sane behavior of libtool when they want to create a tarball =20
which is supposed to be cross-platform (for an appropriate value of =20
cross-platform).

So you need to address the issues upstream. As soon as a new release =20
comes out with the improvements you suggest, we will get them in =20
FreeBSD. The problem is that a lot of users of libltdl try to open the =20
.la file instead of the lib (AFAIR libltdl tries to first open the .la =20
then the .so if you don't have a .la or .so ending in the dlopen() =20
string, but most people specify the .la... I could misremember this, =20
it's been a while since I looked at it).

The way to go is to teach libtool about the ELF features and to not =20
produce the .la files on ELF systems. Additionally a warning in =20
libltdl needs to printed in case the .la file is used (as a second =20
step maybe adding a long delay to the loading in case a .la file is =20
used, to provoke the transition).

While it may be more easy to talk about doing something like this in =20
our ports collection, the way to go is to address this upstream with =20
the libtool authors, and not with portmgr/ade or on hackers/ports.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Law of the Yukon:
=09Only the lead dog gets a change of scenery.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137