Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:12:52 -0500
From:      David Banning <david+dated+1103141576.b2bd68@skytracker.ca>
To:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gateway_enable question

> If you use nat, killing natd might be an option.  You could also put up
> a firewall that blocks those computers ip addresses.  Maybe have 2
> firewall configs.  You could simply run a flush and then load the new
> ones on the command line.  (ipfw)

Thanks Lucas. I have tried killing the ppp nat that I run by killing;

/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat default

and running;

/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial default

but surprisingly, the network machines can still access the internet.

To me that is strange, especially when you consider that I don't have
natd running either. There must be something doing the network translation
unseen to me. I am running squid and dansguardian - I don't know if
they provide any nat function.

On the firewall it is difficult to block the win boxes because I -want-
each machine to be able to contact each other,  but I don't want the
windows boxes to have internet connection.

ipfw would be great - my main problem is that I want to block the
win boxes from using messenger which tries any and all ports,  but
I don't want to block my x-win (xwin32) terminal connection to unix
from each win box - which -also- seems to want to pick it's own port
every time it runs.