Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:36:46 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

parv <parv_@yahoo.com> types:
> this was, on the fateful occasion around Oct 12 13:54 -0400,
> sent by Mike Meyer
> > A scriptable environment is one of the things I miss when working on
> > Unix desktops.
> if by "desktop" you mean "things X Window System", then did you not
> like sawfish wm which according to its docs gives the impression that
> "once you know lisp, you can do almost anything"?

Nope. I did look at sawfish, and forgot why I didn't like it. In any
case, I've got a completely scriptable window manager that has the
advantage that I can script it in my choice of languages, including
lisp. I'm not sure guile is one of them, though. Does guile include
CORBA bindings?

> by chance, could you mean that you long for the console when in X?

Nope, not that either.

Before I moved my primary desktop to Unix, I worked in an environment
where the OS providers GUI standards required every application to
allow users to add buttons, menu entries or command that would invoke
scripts that could query the application for information and issue
commands back to the application. It also called for applications to
allow themselves to be started and start listening for commands, so
that scripts could launch them, have them do things, then exit. The
system came with a standard scripting language, but the mechanism
allowed scripts to be written in other languages, even ones that
needed to be compiled. Kudos to Bill Hawes for creating that
mechanism.

In other words, it's that *every application on the desktop* could be
scripted, and scripts could talk to multiple applications. The IDE I
used came with an editor, but used the scripting mechanisms to
interact with it, so I could configure it to talk to my favorite
editor instead of the bundled one, and have my favorite editor invoke
the IDE when appropriate. I built one of the best GUI UMA's I've ever
had the pleasure to use on a proprietary hypertext application using
nothing but scripts invoked by user-added menus.

MS Windows seems to have gone furthest in that direction among current
desktop systems, which is unfortunate because I can't stand the MS
Windows window manager - among other things. CORBA provides a perfect
mechanism - even better than the one I was used to - but the standards
neglect desktop use, instead aiming at large distributed systems.
Gnome has a lot of hooks in place for CORBA, but the applications
developers seem to be ignoring them. Not to mention that I want a
window manager that's stays out of my way, which describes none of the
Gnome window managers I know of.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.