Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 19:48:37 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with VNET/bridge/VLAN

Hi!

> Am 22.02.2019 um 18:03 schrieb Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>:
>=20
> Am 2019-02-22 11:31, schrieb Patrick M. Hausen:
>=20
> [x-posted to freebsd-jail@freebsd.org]
>=20
>> The machine is an iocage jail host, all jails with VNET.
>> The problem is: network performance in the jails (not on the host!) =
is abysmal
>> with the second setup. Not consistently so, everything *seems* to =
work
>> but e.g. a customer complained that checking out a project from =
github
>> happend at 15k/s =E2=80=A6 that=E2=80=99s when we started to =
investigate.
>=20
> [...]
>=20
>> *Any* idea what might be going on here? We use VNET all the same on =
all the
>> hosts and it is still labelled =E2=80=9Eexperimental", yes. But all =
the parts that
>> make up the different setups - bridge(4), vlan(4) - have been in =
FreeBSD
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2019-February/003684.html=

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2017-December/049470.html
>=20
> If your hosts run on cloud infrastructure odds are that the mentioned =
settings will work in your case.

Bare metal. We *provide* cloud infrastructure by the means of jails and =
VNET.

See this URL for the shameless marketing plug [tm] ;-) Or my talk at =
EuroBSDCon 2017 in Paris.
https://infrastructure.punkt.de/de/produkte/proserver.html

And no PF, no NAT, no IPFW - just the setup I showed in my first mail
and of course epair(4) interfaces added to the bridge by iocage =E2=80=A6

We happened to have a handful of servers without enough free uplink =
ports
in the respective racks and thought we could get away cheaply using =
trunks
and VLANs.

But I=E2=80=99ll fiddle with LRO nonetheless and report if that changes =
anything.

Thanks
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100
76133 Karlsruhe			info@punkt.de	http://punkt.de
AG Mannheim 108285		Gf: Juergen Egeling