Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:35:20 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf on -current?

> > No.  make aout-to-elf builds a.out versions of everything first, then
> > uses them to build the elf versions.
>
> Correct. Older compilers would not be able to generate elf targets,
> so we have to update the compiler first.

Right.  But the 2.x system should build the compiler (and bootstrap libs)
statically and install them in /usr/obj/..../tmp.  Then the "make world"
should stop dead in its tracks and use the compiler in /usr/obj/..../tmp
[which itself is an a.out binary] to start a new "make world" where the
output are ELF images.  I've glossed over a little bit here -- I think
maybe we need a /usr/src/Makefile.aout-to-elf and the upgrade path is
now:

    make -f Makefile.aout-to-elf {,buildworld,installworld}

> The system actually makes a complete world first, because of arcane
> reasons better left unexplained,

True.. and I bumped into the same mess in the compiler upgrade

> lest one would gradually become insane.

As I did in the EGCS bootstrap.  ;-)

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)