Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 15:32:25 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Troy <sindrome@sindrome.net>
Subject:   Re: Re: XFree86 on Thinkpad T23

Troy,

First off, you are a beautiful human being.  This got me through most of the
rough spots.

A couple of notes here though...

In ac97.c there are 2 lines specifying DELAY.  Both of these lines were
already set to 10000, so I left them alone.

The option for PCI_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_IO_RANGE kicks back an immediate error
during the compile as not being recognized.  I didn't see any mention of this
in the pr patches, or in my existing LINT, so I left that out.

The kernel compiles nicely, and boots even nicer!  dmesg looks to be getting
all the right stuff for pcm0.  Well, at least it's not locking the box and
spitting back errors.

In the final lap here, I still can't seem to get sound working.  Following the
kernel build I ran the following...

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV snd0
./MAKEDEV snd1

I then installed waveplay to run a little testing.  waveplay seems to think
it's talking to a device, as I'm not getting any errors and there's a delay
before I get the prompt back that would be about the length of the wave I
tossed at it.  Not a peep outta this thing.

I'm pretty convinced there's a basic step I'm missing at this point, but not a
clue what it is.

Thanks again!

Troy wrote:
> Andy,
> I had the same problems with my Thinkpad T23 sound not working.
> Make sure and CVSUP. The patches in step 1 below may have been checked in.
> You still have to make the changes outlined in steps 2-5. This should make
> your sound work.
>
> 1) Applying the patches from PR kern/36716 and i386/36972
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern%2F36716
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386%2F36972
>
> 2) vi /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c
>    replace:
>      DELAY (1000);
>    with:
>      DELAY (4000);
>
> 3) backup all files, both patched and orig. a cvsup will replace the
> ac97.c file because it has not been checked in with the change in DELAY
>
> 4) At the kernel config, at the following lines:
>    device          smbus
>    device          ichsmb
>    device          smb
>    device          pcm
>    options         PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES
>    options		   PCI_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_IO_RANGE
>
> 5) recompile your kernel.
>
> -Troy
>

>> > I've tried the standard "device pcm" and what feels like a a couple of
>> > dozen
>> > different varieties from different web sites talking about this.  Darn
>> > thing locks solid on boot with the following error...
>> >
>> >   pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2483) at 31.3 irq 11
>> >   pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICHA)> irq 11 at device 31.5 on pci0
>> >   pcm0: unable to map IO port space
>> >   device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>> >
>> > At that point I've got to hard power down to get my system back.
>>
>> This looks like the "lazy BIOS" problem, where the BIOS doesn't allocate
>> resources to the device, expecting the OS to do it.
>>
>> Unfortunately, -stable, doesn't do this, expecting the BIOS to do it for
>> us.
>>
>> If you have a "PNP OS Yes/No" option in your BIOS, set it to "No", as
>> this will hopefully force the BIOS to allocate resources, which -stable
>> can then attach/use. (I know, I know, you probably don't have this option
>> on a modern laptop, as these are all designed to be used with a "modern"
>> OS from Redmond that does this).
>>
>> You might need to try -current (although right now would probably be a
>> really bad time, as they're just integrating GCC 3 into the tree), as the
>> ACPI support may well do a much better job of this.
>>
>> Oh, and IM (limited) E, this failure to allocate resources for the sound
>> device doesn't usually cause a hang - this is probably something else,
>> sorry.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> AS

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."
 - Groucho Marx