Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:20:36 -0600
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, """ >> \\\\\\\\Patrick M. Hausen\\\\" <hausen@punkt.de>
Subject:   Re: epair and vnet jail loose connection.

On 11 Mar 2022, at 17:44, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> On 09/03/2022 20:55, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> The problem:
>> I have a FreeBSD 14 machine and a FreeBSD 13-stable machine, both runn=
ing the same jails just to test the workings.

>> The jails that are running are a salt master, a haproxy  jail, 2 webse=
rvers, 2 varnish servers, 2 php jails one for php8.0 and one with 8.1. Al=
l the jails are connected to bridge0 and all the jails use vnet.

>> I believe this worked on an older 14-HEAD machine, but i did not do a =
lot with it back then, and when i started testing again and after updatin=
g the OS i noticed that one of the varnish jails lost it's network connec=
tion after running for a few hours. I thought it was just something on HE=
AD so never really looked at it. But later on when i start using the jail=
s again and testing a test wordpress site i noticed that with a simple lo=
ad test my haproxy jail within one minute looses it's network connection.=
 I see nothing in the logs, on the host and on the jail.
>>  From the jail i can not ping the other jails or the IP adres of the b=
ridge. I can however ping the jails own IP adres. From the host i can als=
o not ping the haproxy jail IP adres. If i start a tcpdump on the epaira =
interface from the haproxy jail i do see the packets arrive but not in th=
e jail.

>> I used ZFS to send all the jails to a 13-STABLE machine and copied ove=
r the jail.conf file as well as the pf.conf file and i saw the same behav=
ior.

>> Then i tried to use 13.0-RELEASE-p7 and on that machine i do not see t=
his happening. There i can stress test the machine for 10 minutes without=
 a problem but on 14-HEAD and 13-STABLE within a minute the jail's networ=
k connection fails and only a restart of the jail brings it back online t=
o exhibit the same behavior if i start a simple load test which it should=
 handle nicely.

>> One of the jail hosts is running under VMWARE and the other is running=
 under Ubuntu with KVM. The 13.0-RELEASE-p7 jail host is running under Ub=
untu with KVM

>> Thank you for your time.
>> regards
>> Johan
>>
> I did some bisecting and the latest commit that works on FreeBSD 13-Sta=
ble is 009a56b2e
> Then the commit 2e0bee4c7=C2=A0 if_epair: implement fanout and above is=
 showing the symptoms described above.

Interestingly I cannot reproduce stalls in simple epair setups.
It would be useful if you could reduce the setup with the problem into a =
minimal configuration so we can figure out what other factors are involve=
d.

Kristof