Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:01:46 -0800
From:      "David Fuchs" <beastie@beastie.net>
To:        "Martin" <Martin.Zibert1@guest.arnes.si>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS and SendMail

Martin,

When discussing security it's usually best to have the latest version of any
software you're concerned with.  In the case of sendmail, it's probably best
just to upgrade to something more trustworthy.  I've heard way too many
horror stories regarding sendmail...

You should probably drop sendmail and install another MTA (Message Transfer
Agent) like Exim.  On my system I've actually removed sendmail, and made a
symbolic link to the Exim executable in order to have it use Exim instead.
The setup shouldn't be too difficult for Exim, there's lots of good info out
there on the net, or you can just mail someone if you get stuck.

As far as DNS goes, keep up to date on the latest version "bind-8.2.2.p5"
and you'll have no trouble with security, and if you need help setting it
up, I recommend O'Reilly's "DNS and Bind".  I think the 3rd edition is the
latest one.  I would simply give you an internet address to use for
information on DNS, but if you plan to run a name server, it's pretty damned
important that you have a solid reference.  If you make mistakes running a
name server, you can cause unwanted data transfers over the internet - and
that's BAD.  Besides, DNS is really neat once you know how it works, and
it's good if you need something to help you sleep. :)

If anything is unclear, just send me a note!

-David Fuchs
beastie@beastie.net