Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:46:08 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peters=D4?=?=?iso-8859-1?Q?=40=21=EA?=?), bright@hotjobs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about re-entrancy.

> > If you wish to see a working example of a microkernel using object
> > locks, take a peek at the RTEMS kernel.  It's quite portable, and
> > supports SMP systems out of the box.  See
> >
> > 	http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/rtems.html
>
> RTEMS has three unfortunate problems:
>
> 1)	It is not uITRON compliant.  There's really no reason to
> 	do an RT system that isn't uITRON compliant.  It's the
> 	industry standard, and there is a lot of code (including
> 	embedded browsers) that are available for such systems.

I looked up UITron on the WWW, and only got a hit from Sun, and it was
lost in the noise.  I have a hard time seeing this as 'Industry
Standard', but I'm sure you'll feel free to explain to me how it's a
standard.

> 2)	It's GPL'ed.

I'll leave this one...
> 3)	Object locks are the wrong way to address the reentrancy
> 	issue.

Sometime I wonder if you just like to listen to yourself speak.  Object
locks *ARE* the correct way to address reentrancy issues.  Having done
*real* multithreaded/multi-object design for some time now, I've found
that Object locks are a *much* cleaner way of designing for re-entrant
code.  (If you don't want something locked, you don't create an object
for it...)

How much *REAL* (stuff that is used by someone outside yourself)
experience do you have designing multi'threaded/whatever' software to
speak with such authority?

>       The problem with object locks is that it puts
> 	objects that don't really need to be in a contention
> 	domain into one in order to satisfy contention in what
> 	are usually very small critical sections having to do
> 	with list manipulation of pointers to the object.

So you're claiming that the 'Big Giant Lock' is the better way?  You
can't have it both ways.

Nate