Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 21:18:08 PDT
From:      "Shameek Basu" <shameek_basu@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of inodes!

Hi,
   A very surprising thing happened when I was installing some packages off
the FreeBSD 4.0 CD. /stand/sysinstall hiccupped and said something about
being out of inodes on /var. Thereafter I got the same message whenever I
tried to install any package.

   Now when I create a file using "vi" or any app tries to write something
some message usually comes up about being out of inodes (so far messages are
like PID xxx out of inodes on /var etc), or about there being no space on
the device (vi gives this message).

    I did a df and this was the output:

Filesystem    1K-blocks     Used     Avail    Capacity     Mounted on
/dev/ad3s1a     49583       24913    20704       55%          /
/dev/ad3s1f    4125061     1305486  2489571      34%         /usr
/dev/ad3s1e     19815       12619    5611        69%         /var
procfs            4           4        0         100%        /proc
    It would seem that the proc filesystem is out of place. But isn't it
something that keeps info on processes? ALso it's not a partition of it's
own...how does this work?

    As the output above shows there is plenty of disk space - so what's
going wrong?

    I also did a fsck manually - there were no inconsistencies. Could
someone please help me out?

Thanks
Shameek