Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 10:46:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steven Jorgensen <steve@casper.haunt.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: khoros

Lars Jonas Olsson (jonas@mcs.com) wrote:
: I did the first FreeBSD support for Khoros 2 (some beta, porting
: release).  So Khoros 2 should have some knowledge about FreeBSD. I
: think there is a person at Khoros Consortium that also run FreeBSD. He
: also talked about doing a real port. I have not used Khoros in ~2
: years.

	Well, I actually work at Khoral Research (which develops
	Khoros), and have been helping maintaining the FreeBSD support
	in my spare time.  (Several of us are using FreeBSD at home here.)
	Anyway, while I haven't done a FreeBSD port directory thing yet,
	people should have no trouble getting it to compile.  Just
	follow the instructions in our installation guide to install it.
	It should compile without any modifications.  The only
	things to pay attention to are the manual.cf settings
	in $BOOTSTRAP/repos/config/doc_config to make sure
	the EqnCmd, RoffMacro, and SoelimCmd don't have the g in
	front of them.

:  You can only get the source from Khoros consortium members' ftp sites
: and you are not allowed to redistribute. The package is large
: (50-100M)

	The problem with doing a ports structure is that you have to
	assume all the configuration and placement of the Khoros source
	tree.  Since it is so big, a blind assumption on placement may not
	work very well.

: > "We abandonded Linux and FreeBSD for stability reasons because we
: > think NetBSD is the only stable OS and so on and so on ..."
: > And further he was asking for X11 binary compatibility of
: > NetBSD to run Linux X11 binaries. Obviously he had in mind
: > running a linux khoros binary under NetBSD Linux emu.
: >
: > I offered him my help and I'm waiting for an answer.
: > Archie'ing for khoros gives me a few hits signalling linux ports
: > available.

	Well, I don't know about running the linux binaries under
	NetBSD, since you can't get precompiled binaries anyway,
	it would probably be easier to port Khoros to NetBSD,
	than to compile linux binaries and fight with the NetBSD
	linux emulator.  I doubt a port to NetBSD will be very difficult,
	since khoros has already been ported to FreeBSD.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com      steve@haunt.com
Khoral Research Inc.          | PHONE: (505) 837-6500
6001 Indian School, Suite 200 | FAX:   (505) 881-3842
Albuquerque, NM 87110         | URL: http://www.khoral.com/