Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:11:56 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        oscars@mail.utexas.edu (Oscar Ricardo Silva)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLAN support in FreeBSD

On 29 Aug 2001 20:35:34 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>Is VLAN support now standard in recent versions of FreeBSD (4.x through=20
>4.3-STABLE)?  I've been looking through mail archives and net documents =
and=20
>most mention patches to FreeBSD to make it support 802.1q VLANs (and =
many=20
>of those patches are NIC specific).
>
>We're currently running Linux with VLAN support but are running into=20
>hardware/software issues.  FreeBSD has shown itself to be stable and =
strong=20

I have had good luck with it using the Intel cards.  You want to use a
fairly recent copy as no patches are necessary to use native long frames.=
use the fxp cards against IBM, Compaq and Cisco switch and have had very
good results in 802.1q trunking. Its quite easy to setup.  Define how =
many
vlan interfaces you want in your kernel compile and reboot.  Then

ifconfig vlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 123 vlandev fxp0 =
mtu
1500 up

and you are done. =20

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)