Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ALPHA Multia and FreeBSD 4.3-RC

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Hartmann, O. wrote:

>First: I have no access to the console! I just see all the output
>when booting, after activating 'console' in /etc/ttys I get only
>a login prompt, but the keyboard is dead - only the LEDs for CapsLock etc.
>are flashing when hiting the apropriate key. All in- output go through
>the serial console and that is crap.
>Can anybody tell me how to activate the Multia's console?
>I read about that the console is not supported, but, excuse this question,
>makes it any kind of sense installing an operating system on a Multia
>I can not gain access to?

This probably belonged on -questions or -alpha, but here goes:
FreeBSD currently supports only serial consoles on the Multia.  This is
because it uses an unsupported TGA framebuffer.  You can either run with
a serial console, or try putting a PCI VGA card in the PCI slot.  I'm
not sure the level of success people have had with that, but you can ask
on the -alpha list to check.  The other option is to run NetBSD which
does support the TGA framebuffer.

>Second: I tried to make a world. Due the fact the machine is really slow
>it took a long time from starting the first make  world up to the
>point it failed. My Multia reboots spontanously and shows me the console,
>awaiting the boot command.
>I saw this many times on Intel based systems when CPU reaches its limits due
>overheating, overclocking or bad hardware. What's up with the Alpha?
>The machine has 88MB memory, that seems to be enough for simple steps
>in making a world or similar. The system is attached to a 4GB IBM
>SCSI DCAS hdd...

This phenomenon is known as Multia Heat Death and is well known to
Multia owners.  The thing is not cooled well at all.  Make sure it is
standing on end at all times or the air will not circulate at all.  It
is meant to stand on end with the DEC logo/power switch toward the top.
Most Multia's came with a stand to hold them there originally, but most
of those stands have disappeared over time.  Be careful with it.  For
more information on Multia Heat Death see the NetBSD/alpha Multia FAQ @
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

This message is encrypted with ROT-26.  Any attempt to circumvent this
encryption is expressly prohibited under 17 USC 512.  Violators may be
prosecuted.