Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:07:37 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: huge email system

They all laughed on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:28  when David said:

> Hello -

> We need to build a stable, redundant, and speedy email system
> that will last for a few years. We need to handle about 500,000
> emails per day. We have about 30,000 users, so we need a lot of
> storage.

30,000 users with only 500,000 emails per day.  I say that based on
running a small ISP with a few hundred users and see large mail
volume.  All are business accounts.

I'll let others comment on the rest, but I think 500,000 emails per
day may be underestimating things.  That's only 20 emails per user
per day.

As to last a few years - who knows.  In the past year I've seen
such an overall increase in mail volume that now I'm looking to get
new servers with more CPU power.  It's not disk size that is the
problem but the in-coming and out-going traffic that is killing the
CPU.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com