Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 10:30:01 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "ESanzalone" <esanzalone@ftkservices.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: File system full

>I have a real problem. I set up a FreeBSD server when I knew
>a little about Unix. My problem is that the root slice is full.

You can move /tmp and /var over to /usr to free up some space on / (do this
in single-user mode):

    # mkdir /usr/var
    # cd /var
    # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
    # cd /
    # rm -rf /var
    # ln -s /usr/var /var
    # mkdir /usr/tmp
    # rm -rf /tmp
    # ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

>I do have another hard drive I can install. I need some information
>on how to add it to the root slice and mount it for FreeBSD and
>set it up correctly

Here's how to add a second hard drive:

http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?2disk

It's written for 3.x and IDE drives, but the theory is the same for 4.0
and/or SCSI drives...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor