Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:20:28 -0700
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>, Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND qustionS

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:01:00AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:32:49PM -0700, Gary D Kline wrote:

> > > Run `rndc-confgen' to generate the key (and a reasonable rndc.conf to go
> > > with it).
> >

> > 	As roor I'm exec'd rndc-confgen (with various switches).  It
> > 	seems to hang, or be sleeping.  Do you know what may be happening
> > 	here?
>
> It's trying to read some random data out of /dev/random, but your
> system doesn't have enough sufficiently good entropic sources configured
> that it can provide as much as rndc-confgen wants.
>
> Take a look at:
>
>     i) The '-r' option to rndc-confgen.  If you say:
>
>         rndc-confgen -a -r keyboard
>
>     randomness will be derived by your typing at the keyboard.
>
>     ii) The rc.conf 'rand_irqs' variable and the the rndcontrol(8) man
>     page.  To select some good IRQs to use as sources of randomness
>     look at the 'systat -vmstat' display, specifically the table of
>     interrupts on the right hand side.  Hint: the clk interrupt is no
>     good for generating randomness as it fires at regular intervals.

		Pounding away worked just fine... like PGP:)

		Could it be that my DNS system was too quiescence
		for /dev/random?  (The uprocessor overheated and
		the server went down [[ bad fan ]] and I'm treating
		it with kid gloves.  I didn't want to leave rndc-confgen
		running for very long.

		Thanks for sharing your insights; perhaps future
		releases of bind will have better checking and
		recovery... .

		gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix