Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 19:14:56 -0500
From:      Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>
To:        chan <rchitecture@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: t1 dsl

On Sat May 11, 2002; 04:59PM -0700 chan propagated the following:
> we currently have two connections to the internet through
> t1 (main) and dsl (backup)
>
> i would like to see if some can share some idea on
> how to automatically change from t1 to dsl when we have a dead t1
>
> i am currently manually changing from t1 to dsl by using
>
> route delete t1_ip_add
> route add default dsl_ip_add
>
> I am not sure how to check when t1 die and auto switch to dsl
> & check when t1 is up so to switch it back from dsl

A very 'ghetto' way to do this would be to use ping to check the router on
the other end of your t1 for 'alive-ness', and if it's dead, switch over to
your dsl for routing.  Write a script to do this, then crontab it for every
minute, or five minutes.

Good luck.

-wd
--