Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:22:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.dialix.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's going on here? (NFSv3 problem?)

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I think that's where the 8K readdir comes from..
> >

> [ ... ]
>
> > I have not tried that yet, but increasing the mount blocksize from 1K
> > to the default of 8K solves the problem.
> >
> > I then made a very large directory to test that it wasn't because the
> > directory was larger than the read packet size.
> >
> > Perhaps there's a problem with the readdir packet reassembly?
>
> The bug is in the VOP_READDIR code to work around the stat structure
> size differences.
>
> Where I said it was a year ago when they were being implemented.

No, the bug is that nfs_readdir is making larger protocol requests than
it used to and the server is puking.  NFSv3 allows the server to hint at
a size to use.  I don't have the rfc for NFSv2 handy so I can't check.
It is possible that we are violating the protocol here.  It is also
possible that the SVR4 server is returning crap data.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411