Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 05:51:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels / module search path

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> >
> > there is one thing I don't understand in this thread.
> > you are saying than modules are different from kernel to kernel.
>
> Kernels and their modules can be completely different. Take for example
> an upgrade from 4-stable to 5-current.

I'm not right w/ you. when you do an upgrade, you build the world, then
the kernel (using buildkernel). so, all is in sync, no ?

> > do you understand what I mean ? and what I understand is that
> > the building of modules as part of the kernel and not of the world
> > is to avoid conflicts if the src tree has been updated.
>
> It's to avoid conflicts between a kernel and its modules. Not between 2
> different kernels and their modules.

ok, that's what I understood until now :) so, for instance, the buildkernel
target could be modified to build modules only for the first kernel, not
for the others. do you see what I mean ? if I said KERNEL="WHATEVER GENERIC"
in /etc/make.conf, modules are build twince and it's a lost of time :(

> > what is the problem about to have /:/boot:/modules/WHATEVER:/modules
> > as the modules search path ?
>
> Interference.
>
> I guess we'll discuss all these issues when the new infrastructure is
> being deployed, if it needs any more discussing, of course. There's no
> point in discussing this any further here, because we're not going to
> worry about multiple kernels now.

humm! I always keep a GENERIC kernel in sync, just in case...
that's why I build more than one kernel.

FYI, yesterday, in -stable, I post a Super-Makefile to cvsup/(update)/\
build/install everything from one point. I use it for month w/o any
problems. it's a little bit complicated, but I have no choice.

see you.

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr