Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:48:44 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not Xorg 7.0?

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:00:46PM -0600, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't Xorg 7.0 already available at the
> time when we upgraded to 6.9?

Since 6.9 and 7.0 were released at the same time, the answer is obviously
yes.

>  If so, why didn't we just go all the way to
> 7.0?

Because it was easier to upgrade to 6.9 ?

Xorg 6.9 and 7.0 use the same source code, and should provide exactly the
same functionality.  What differs is the building procedures, and the tools
used to build it.
6.9 uses the same procedures as previous Xorg/XFree86 releases, while 7.0
uses a new, modular, approach.
Moving to 7.0 would have required more work (and with a greater chance of
running into new bugs) and would probably have delayed the upgrade even
more to allow for the extra testing needed.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson