Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:34:28 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: skip requires X?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:36:24PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> Please tell me I'm wrong.  Does skip really need X windows in order to
> build?  Is that really necessary?  What about us poor sods that
> don't/can't run X?  What's the best course of action to get skip
> installed?
>
> This is annoyingly similar to the webalizer issue (ports/16354).  Are
> more and more ports [maintainers] assuming X?  I don't think I
> understand the issue[s] enough to comment.

The problem is that some programs that produce graphical output require
(sometimes very little) support from libX11, libXext, and others that are
normally installed through X. SKIP depends on the xview library, which
depends on XMKMF, which implies that it needs X11 libraries.

The fact is that none of them require a full install of X. They just
require the supporting libraries. I believe Satoshi is working with some
others on a solution for this problem.

It is quite annoyingly similar to gd, webalizer, etc..

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>