Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:56:40 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fnord-430/SuperMicro P3TDE6/ServerWorks SS III HE Super LIght

John,

Thank you so much for your reply.  Your offer is what I expected from
Fnord Systems and I have received the exact opposite.  I unfortunately
paid cash in advance.  The even took 10 days extra because they claimed
that their bank hadn't released the funds, before ordering the parts
of the server.  I even had to put up my credit card with Kingston
to get them to ship the two chips.

I am going to do the following, get two more chips 256 or 512 to be
sure that it isn't the ram.

Upgrade the bios to eliminate that option.

Then if I can't get Fnord to fulfill their warranty, I will take you
up on your offer and direct all my future business your way.

Thanks, again.

ed

Quoting John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>:

| Well, my company sells server systems very similar to that of Fnord. From
| what I can tell, they are not fulfilling their "2 Year Warranty". Obviously
| the hardware is defective. If you paid with a credit card, you can have
| your
| card company refund the money for failure to return defective items.
|
| Otherwise, I would EMAIL supermicro Tech support. You cant call, but email
| will work. I think it is support@supermicro.com. Give them all the specs.
| They test their hardware for linux and freebsd now, so they might help. It
| is possible that it is a bad board.
|
| If you get nowhere, I can offer the following help. We use those same
| chassis's. I can supply you with new "guts" to get you up and running. Guts
| being, a new ServerWorks mainboard. We use the TYAN 2518, which uses Reg.
| ECC PC133 SDRAM and ServerWorks. These boards work great on FreeBSD. You
| can
| keep your processors and memory, as long as they are okay, which they
| probably are.
|
| Best of luck...
|
| If you want to copy this to freebsd list, go ahead.
|

| John Von Essen
| President, Essenz Consulting (www.essenz.com)
| EMAIL: john@essenz.com
| DIRECT PHONE: (800) 248-1736
| International: +01 814 861 0922
|

| on 11/28/01 12:22 PM, eculp@EnContacto.Net wrote:
|
| > John,
| >
| > That is what I have been trying to do but to not loose even more time
| > I am trying to fix the problem.  It has, I think, to be fixable:-)
| >
| > Fnord service has gone from bad to impossible.  They are great at passing
| > the buck on everything and will not except responsibility for anything.
| > They won't even answer their emails.
| >
| > I see you are a consultant also, I would definately not recommend fnord
| > you,
| > although the box is well built and, IMO, with great components and a
| > reasonable
| > price.  I just don't get it unless they are about to go under.
| >
| > Thanks for the help,
| >
| > ed
| >
| > P.S. Would you mind if I resend this with a copy to the list, that might
| > help get Fnord's attention.  I actually found them from on of my
| > posts for server recommendations on isp or hardward, I don't remember.
| > They are/were subscribed.  I've actually waited a month to do this, BTW.
| >
| > Quoting John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>:
| >
| > | This may be an obvious solution, but...
| > |
| > | Why don't you contact Fnord Systems and ask them why their hardware
| doesn't
| > | work out-of-the-box??? It seems that they did not even test it before
| > | shipping...
| > |
| > | Otherwise... After the 840 chipset disaster with Supermicro, I have
| stayed
| > | away entirely from Supermicro boards.
| > |
| > |