Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:24:20 -0400
From:      Tommy Johnson <tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        delerium@eagle.ais.net, walter@biostat.sph.unc.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIG's 11 and 6...

delerium@ais.net said:
>[...]
>> HEAT! My pentium 120 was having the above problems.  Switching out memory
>> would solve them for a day or two, but the problems would then start to
[...]
>I've got a Pentium 133 here running 2.2-960612-SNAP, and it too was
>experiencing more or less random Segmentation Faults, Bus Errors,
>and/or Illegal Instructions.  This behavior persisted despite swapping
>SIMMs several times.  I finally resolved this with a strange fix:
>though the CPU can run at 133MHz, I clocked it down to 120MHz via jumper
>settings on the motherboard.  I haven't had any problems with it since.

I have a 586-100 (Well, OK so it says pentium...).  When I first got
it, I was doing a burn in test, compiling about 6 kernels in parallel.
I too kept getting SIG 11s.  So I doublechecked all the jumpers and
noticed that it was jumpered for 133MHz.  When I set it to 100 MHz, the
strange signals stopped, and the machine has been up ever since (25
days uptime sofar).

For the record: Tyan S1462 tempest II dual 586 motherboard (only one
100MHz CPU right now), 512K L2 cache, Adaptec 2940, SMC DC21041 10Mb
ethernet, 16MB ram, hercules video board, running FreeBSD 2.1.0-Release.
The CPU is: Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x526  Stepping=6

>I wonder if my problem is actually heat-related as well?  Reducing the
>CPU clock may simply cause the chip to run cooler.  Anyone else have
>similar troubles, or other ideas?

My case has two fans, I don't think I had any heat problems.

-Tom "this isn't happening... this isn't happening..." a grey alien, X Files
tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu  "My other computer ALSO runs unix." -me   <*>
http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/
Message and signature (c) 1996 Tommy O. Johnson, all rights reserved