Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 2016 14:18:06 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packaging the FreeBSD base system with pkg(8)

--61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:46:39PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Glen Barber:
>=20
> > As many know, work has been in progress for quite some time to provide
> > the ability to package and upgrade the FreeBSD base system using pkg(8).
> > The majority of the initial implementation has provided much of the core
> > functionality to make this possible, however much work still needs to be
> > done.
>=20
> (snip)
>=20
> Would the base system all be one package?

multiple packages with meta packages to represent the whole base so you hav=
e the
best of both world :)
>=20
> In Linux, everything is part of a package, even the kernel, but something=
 comparable to FreeBSD or NetBSD base system would have many packages.
>=20
> Will it be possible to upgrade base system with portmaster or portupgrade=
, and would that be better than the current procedure in UPDATING?

No but one will be able to simply run pkg upgrade (and built himself the
packages)
>=20
> Would pkg then be able to show a package's required shared libraries incl=
uding shared libraries from the base system?  I was recently stung by pkg n=
ot showing required shared libraries from the base system.

Yes, but but real usage of it would happen in a second step because of many
rought edges to be deal with. but yes the information would be available

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBr6izhH5P1I
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dv7px6ktoDAI

for a bigger view of what happened (note that some detail my have change a =
bit,
the overall remains the same)

Best regards,
Bapt