Date:      25 Apr 2003 12:06:46 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .Xr references to ports in man pages

"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk> writes:

> Hope somebody has an opinion about this.

I can't think of a better way to render the information, but I have a
suggestion regarding the ease of manpage source maintenance.

Unless port names require their category name to be unique (and they
don't, AFAIK), then the inclusion of the port category within the man
pages introduces an unnecessary need to search man pages and make
corrections whenever port categorization is changed, as happens
occasionally.

Two "solutions" are obvious: 1) Omit the category altogether and expect
users to know how to use the "whereis" command.  2) Make the macro smart
enough to figure out the category name from the port name.  This would
still require maintenance, but would localize it to one file.

I think that all users should know how to use "whereis" and requiring
them to use it is not unreasonable.  The rendering would need to be
changed to something like:  smb.conf(5) [port "samba"]