Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:08:00 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Victoria Welch" <vikki@oz.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Thanks!

>   I'm not sure if I can use it for my original purpose, which was to
> replace a RH linux 5.2 server yet.

Easily :o)

> mostly need a firewall I can configure easily.

man ipfw

> opening up ports with ipfwadm appears impossible and by now ipfwadm is
> so old that no one seems to know how to make it work.

man ipfw

>   Even if the FreeBSD won't masquerade I think I will still like it for
> a desktop, a number of things I have seen so far make much more sense to
> me :-).

man natd

>   This ports thing is really nice, the idea of being able to cvsup it
> puts the RPM stuff to shame :-).

Have you seen the ports collection /usr/ports you cd to any program you like
and type make install, and this fetches the necessary files from the
internet, apply the needed patches, configure the program, compile it &
install it, pretty amazing.

>   Also if anyone knows if the "linux compatibility" stuff will let me
> run a couple of specific apps:  WordPerfect Office 2000 and VMware?

Yes, it will with FreeBSD 4.X

Greetings...
Ales