Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:40:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: recording from line input

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Richard Tobin wrote:
> I want to record audio from my sound card's line in.  I'm then going to
> record the output onto a CD.  I'm familiar with writing CDs, but what's

I would assume third party software would be the way to go.  I know for
Windows RealAudio has (or had a while back with v.2.0) an Encoder
freeware program.

> the easiest way to get the input?  (To my surprise, cat </dev/dsp didn't
> seem to work: when I send the result back to /dev/dsp I just got noise.)
> -- Richard

If I recall correctly, /dev/dsp is the mic input -- and the quality isn't
going to be very good.  The command you tried won't work because cat can't
make sense of the data stream, i.e. the input has to be redirected to an
application that recognizes what is going on.  Hope this helps some.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder