Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:05:18 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        melifaro@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: ipfw0 pseudo-interface clonable

----Security_Multipart(Wed_Apr_25_02_05_18_2012_022)--

"Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <4F96D11B.2060007@FreeBSD.org>:

me> On 24.04.2012 19:26, Hiroki Sato wrote:
me> > Hi,
me> >
me> >   I created the attached patch to make the current ipfw0
me> >   pseudo-interface clonable.  The functionality of ipfw0 logging
me> >   interface is not changed by this patch, but the ipfw0
me> >   pseudo-interface is not created by default and can be created with
me> >   the following command:
me> >
me> >    # ifconfig ipfw0 create
me> >
me> >   Any objection to commit this patch?  The primary motivation for this
me> >   change is that presence of the interface by default increases size of
me> >   the interface list, which is returned by NET_RT_IFLIST sysctl even
me> >   when the sysadmin does not need it.  Also this pseudo-interface can
me> >   confuse the sysadmin and/or network-related userland utilities like
me> >   SNMP agent.  With this patch, one can use ifconfig(8) to
me> >   create/destroy the pseudo-interface as necessary.
me>
me> ipfw_log() log_if usage is not protected, so it is possible to trigger
me> use-after-free.

 Ah, right.  I will revise lock handling and resubmit the patch.

me> Maybe it is better to have some interface flag which makes
me> NET_RT_IFLIST skip given interface ?

 I do not think so.  NET_RT_IFLIST should be able to list all of the
 interfaces because it is the purpose.

-- Hiroki