Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:51:16 -0700
From:      Hartoyo <suntzu@theartofwar.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Solaris support for shadow NIS

Sorry if this a wrong forum:

From the Makefile from /var/yp directory, it is said that secure mode
would not work for non FreeBSD clients. I am wondering if Solaris with
NIS+ can read the NIS shadow password. If it possible, could somebody
give me a pointer where should I look? I would really appreciate it.

From the Makefile:
... but non-FreeBSD clients (e.g. SunOS, Solaris (without NIS+), IRIX,
HP-UX, etc...) will only work properly in 'unsecure' mode.