Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:08:28 -0400
From:      "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@metrics.com>
To:        "'iNDiAN'" <indian@pcbtech.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.4 and DES

Hmmm ... promising ... but ...

AUTH.CONF(5)              FreeBSD File Formats Manual
AUTH.CONF(5)

NAME
     auth.conf - authentication capability database

SYNOPSIS
     /etc/auth.conf

DESCRIPTION
     auth.conf contains various attributes important to the authentication
     code, most notably kerberos(5) for the time being.  This documentation
     will be updated as the /etc/auth.conf file, which is very new, evolves.

SEE ALSO
     auth_getval(3)

Doesn't tell me much.  :-(   And the auth.conf file is somewhat mysterious,
too:

#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/auth.conf,v 1.4.2.1 2001/07/13 14:37:26 dd Exp $
#
# This file contains information on what types of authentication to use.
# It is just the beginnings of a greater scheme.

# crypt_default =       md5 des
# auth_list     =       passwd kerberos

auth_list       =       passwd

Tom Haapanen