Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:28:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Donald J . Maddox wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 12:29:46PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > But we do have a working driver for the AWE64.  Or rather, it worked fine
> > > before the new PnP code was comitted, now it doesn't.  It seems to me that
> > > this indicates a deficiency in the new PnP code.  Isn't that correct?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > I have already explained to you that the AWE64 driver that you were
> > using (one actually of _three_ that we have) only worked with PnP cards
> > as an accidental side-effect of the old PnP code.  Now that the PnP
> > code has been fixed, the brokenness of the old driver is exposed.
>
> Can you give me a few hints on what would be necessary to get the old
> driver to work with the new PnP?  I confess ignorance of both PnP and
> soundcard programming, but I am willing to try to fix it if fixing it
> is within my means.

It requires converting the ancient voxware driver to newbus which isn't
really feasable.

> It's amazing that one of the most popular sound cards of all time, one
> that works fine on practically every OS from DOS3.3 to Linux and BeOS,
> is of no concern to FBSD developers :-/

My AWE64 works just fine. WaveTable support will arrive after the new midi
driver is committed. If you want to test and/or work on that, please talk
to the author, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com