Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:23:55 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need persistant heap code.

I need to find (or, if necessary, build) some package that will provide
essentially the same functionality as malloc and free, except for the
fact that data placed into the allocated regions should be persistant,
i.e. stored in a disk file, even after the program using these primitives
terminates.

Ideally, the code should do allocation very efficiently as, for example,
the GNU malloc package does.

It is also essential that the code be able to expand the disk file, as
necessary, to accomodate new allocation requests.  But the total amount
of space that will be allocated in this persistant heap at any given time
will never exceed 2GB.

And of course, I'd like this as C source code and I need it to run on
FreeBSD.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing?  If so, where might I be able to
get a copy?

Please understand, I don't need any extraordinarily fancy persistance
package... just persistant versions of malloc and free, with maybe
calloc thrown in, just for good measure.

Any help would be appreciated.