Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:16:37 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Dan Cox <dancox@teleport.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless nic recommendations

Dan Cox wrote:

> Here is my situation. My house can't get DSL or cable. Our neighbors who
> live 20-30 feet away do have DSL and have agreed to share the connection. To
> make a long story short we have successfully set up a wireless LAN for the
> two houses, we've been using a windows laptop to test the connection. I
> would like to find out what wireless NIC's are compatible with freeBSD or
> some recommendations.

I have a wireless ISP, my connection to the internet is a Cisco/Aironet:

an0: <Aironet PCI4800> port 0x6700-0x673f,0x6600-0x667f mem 0xe1001000-
0xe100107f irq 12 at device 13.0 on pci0

I've had no problems with this card, it is currently reaching about 6.5
miles without an amplifier, using a 24 dB "fruit basket" antenna on the
roof of my house.  The throughput is sufficient to hit my 300 Kbps band-
width limitation enforced at the access point 24x7.  The initial speed
tests performed by the ISP showed speed consistent above 1,000 Kbps.  You
should have little problem with speed going between two houses.

The Cisco cards are pretty expensive compared to other brands.