Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:19:10 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel ICH7 SMBus support, ichsmb(4)

Hi there,

I have been looking at a system which has the Intel ICH7 south bridge.

Whenever I try to probe the SMBus on this system with 'smbmsg -p', I get
a lot of status=41 timeout messages in dmesg from the ichsmb(4) driver.

I have been given the addresses of the SMBus peripherals and have tried
initiating reads to their register space directly using 'smbmsg', with
the same result.

 * Has anyone seen the same issues with the ICH7?

 * Does anyone know of any userland code I could use as an alternative
to the ichsmb(4) driver?

I looked at mbmon, it appears it relies on the smb(4) drivers; its
direct ISA access only works for specific hardware monitoring chips
which appear on the ISA/LPC bus and does not implement SMBus bit-banging
in userland.

Many many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers
BMS