Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 23:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher P Lund <clund@sdphu3.ucsd.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   An installation question

I hate to be a bother on what is likely a straightforward question, but I
am at wits end on this matter.  I am relatively new to UNIX systems and
completely new to FreeBSD.  I want to install FreeBSD on a second
partition on my hard drive (1 Gig WD drive, Pentium-90 system).  I got the
bin files and the floppies files for release 2.0.5.  I put the bin files in
c:\freebsd\bin (I also tried c:\freebsd, I wasn't clear on the matter), the
floppies files in c:\freebsd\floppies, and used rawrite to put boot.flp on
a floppy disk.  I booted from the disk, used the setup program to create the
partition, setup slices, chose the "User" install, "DOS Partition" media, and
committed.  Everything appeared to be going fine when I got the message
    "Failed to load the ROOT distribution.
     Please correct this problem and try again."

My only other clue as to what was going on was when I tried to quit.  My
understanding of root.flp is that it is a gzipped file.  From what I could
decipher on the screen, it appears that a problem occured in attempting to
unpack this file.

Like I said at the beginning, I hate to be a bother on this matter.  I
looked through the various FAQs and notes and, failing to find an answer,
this seemed to be the best place to write.

Help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

				- Christopher Lund