Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:46:58 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        "Lee Mark Mercado" <leemark@socal.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xfree86 server setup error ...

In message <20020615012844.GB21547@hal9000.halplant.com>, Lee Mark
Mercado writes:
> whenever im done with xfree86 server setup im always getting "xfree86
> server configuration failed" or something like that after im done with
> the configuration -- i dont know why. i must be doing something wrong.
> is there something i should know about the xfree86 server on FreeBSD
> 4.6 ?

> i've setup xfree86 server in 4.5 many times and never encountered such
> error -- i must have been missing something important with this new
> type of GUI on 4.6 -- any ideas what ? or anything i should keep in
> mind in setting xfree86 server in 4.6 ?

You didn't mention if you were using one of the 4.6-RC's or if you were
using the 4.6-mini.iso.  You may be running into an issue I noticed a
few weeks ago with the 4.6-RC's where sysinstall is looking for the
configuration to be saved to /etc/XF86Config and the defaults of the
configuration utilities are using other locations for saving the file.

For a short discussion of that issue:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=4339+0+archive/2002/freebsd-qa/20020602.freebsd-qa

If you are using on of the 4.6-RC's, try saving the configuration to
/etc/XF86Config where these versions of sysinstall is expecting to find
the file.

If you are using the 4.6-mini.iso, sysinstall has been updated to look
for the default location of /etc/X11/XF86Config so save the
configuration to /etc/X11/XF86Config .

If other than these locations are used, sysinstall will not find them
and give the configuration failed message.

Alternatively, you can run the utilities from the command line and
sysinstall will not be a factor.  For me, the xf86config seemed to be
the easiest to use.

Hope this helps!

Randy

PS: Be sure to install /usr/ports/x11/wrapper in order to run
XFree86-4.x
as a user.