Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 09:57:20 +0200
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        Fuzzy <fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to setup on board audio?

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

* Fuzzy <fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org> [2002-06-01 03.36 -0400]:
>=20
> chip2: <VIA 82C686 AC97 Audio>
> 	port 0xd400-0xd403,0xd000-0xd003,0xcc00-0xccff
> 	irq 12 at device 7.5 on pci0
>=20
> the kernel found the on board audio, but I don't
> know what else I need to add to the kernel or define
> in /dev to do sound?

The handbook is your friend:

<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound.html>;

Basically, you'll want to eiter add 'device pcm' to the kernel, or
load it dynamically with kldload(8).

If you succeed, the output of 'dmesg | grep pcm' will be _something_
_like_:
    pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.11> on sbc0

In that case, do the following as root:
   =20
    # cd /dev
    # sh MAKEDEV snd0

You'll find this outlined at the above URL (if my explanation
differs from the handbook, the handbook is right!) :-)

HTH
--=20
Martin Karlsson                                                   _
GPG/PGP public key: 0x9C924660             ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                       -against HTML, vCards and  X
                              -proprietary attachments in e-mail / \

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi--