Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:24:22 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jpaetzel@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: txt-sysinstall scrapped

On 11/06/10 01:04, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>>     Just to add to that (because I do find it a novel idea), 1) how
>>> are you going to properly prevent man in the middle attacks (SSL, TLS,
>>> etc?), and 2) what webserver would you use?
>>
>> https or ssh.
>>
>> We're also toying with the idea of having a partition that you could
>> 'dd' your certs and keys to (so any system can customize the image
>> with keys to make sure you were talking to who you think you are).
>> We'd just reserve 1MB of space on partition s3.  We'd then check to
>> see if there was a tar ball.  If so, we'd extract it and do the
>> intelligent thing with the keys we find there.
>
> Wouldn't it be better just to go with a read-write media solution
> (USB) like Matt Dillon was suggesting at today then? Then again,
> determining the root device to date is still a bit kludgy isn't it?

But this breaks badly for people who don't own USB sticks of sufficient
size, are installing on machines without USB ports, can't boot from USB,
want to install from a shared medium like PXE, are installing on blades
with convenient shared CD drives but not USB etc. etc. Everything in the
world can boot from CD, and we have to ensure that continues working.

I also have mixed feelings about needing to use a web browser to
instruct a web app inside a bundled web server to write a config file to
be interpreted by shell scripts just in order to run gpart, newfs, and
tar. But if you get it working, it's better than sysinstall no matter
how baroque.
-Nathan