Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 20:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question of routing

Brian Litzinger writes:

> I have a machine with lots of network interfaces:
>
> ed0, ed1, tun0-15, de0.
>
> Also, the ed0 interface is aliased to all sorts of IP address while
> the rest are all the same IP.
>

> ed0	   10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.79
> ed1	   10.0.0.1
> tun0-15	   10.0.0.1
> de0	   10.0.0.1
>
> -net 10.0.1 is reachable via ed1
> -net 10.0.2 is reachable via de0
> various nets on tun0, tun1, etc.
>
> machine 10.0.1.30 is on the "other side" of ed1 and have several other
> nets hooked to it via various interfaces.
>
> The problem I run into  is
>
> route add -net 10.1.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.30
>
> results in the netstat entry
>
> 10.1.0.0    10.0.1.30       UG          3   275517  tun0
>
> unfortunately, 10.0.1.30 is reachable via ed1 not tun0?
>
> I am uncertain why tun0 is being selected as the interface via which
> 10.0.1.30 is reachable. Pings, telnets, etc, to 10.0.1.30 go via
> ed1 just like they are supposed to.
>
> I suspect it has something to do with tun0 being the last interface to
> be (ifconfiged?, routed via?, who knows?) and thus it is being used
> as a default in some way.
>
> Anyone know what this is happening?  Is there are way to specify which
> interface to use in adding the above route?

I have had the same kind of problem on a machine with ed0 and two
PPP interfaces all with .240 netmasks.  The kernel is from -current
sources around March 30. I run gated on this machine and I have
attempted to let gated discover the default route via RIP version 1.
The gated log shows the default route being installed via ed0.  I
haven't looked at the gated code so I assume that gated is printing
its notion of the interface that will be used is based on netmasks.
The kernel installs the route through ppp0.

I though this was a gated/RIP problem but this behaviour can be
duplicated with route add commands.

I get around it by adding the default route in netstart before
gated is started and any ppp interafces are alive.  I now have the
router pasword and have shut down RIP which can't deal with subnets
anyway.

John Capo
IRBS Engineering